The Best Pre Workout Supplement Review for 2017! We’ve created an all inclusive guide to help you find the Top Rated Pre Workout Supplement on the market.
One of the main reasons most people use a Pre Workout Supplement is to pack more lean muscle onto their frame. If this sounds like a goal you’re trying to accomplish then, You’ll want to download my FREE report HERE.
Pre Workout Supplements contain many of the essential nutrients required to pack on good solid lean muscle mass but, are they enough? You can discover which supplements are an absolute must for building lean muscle in my article here.
Whether you’re an experienced bodybuilder that’s seeking to improve your weightlifting abilities or an athlete with a desire to improve your overall performance, a top rated pre workout supplement may be exactly what’s missing from your arsenal.
By increasing the repetitions and power in your workouts, you can finally break through your barriers and previous plateaus and soar to new heights in your workouts and reach new levels that you haven’t been able to achieve. Using the correct pre workout supplement that provides your body with the nutrients it lacks may be all that’s required to change your workouts from routine to explosive.
Below, I have included detailed information to help you understand what makes the Best Pre Workout and how to choose a pre workout and feel it would be beneficial to read through however, if you prefer to jump straight to our Pre Workout Supplement Review, just Click Here.
However, finding the Best Pre Workout Supplement can be a difficult, frustrating and time consuming job; with a quick search on the internet you’ll discover hundreds of products from a multitude of manufacturers each claiming to have the best pre workout supplement on the market. If you venture into a local health and fitness store you may be seeking advice from an uninformed clerk that is willing to sell you anything just to make a sale. I was in this exact situation a while back and found it very frustrating. So, I created this review, it’s your all-inclusive guide to aid you in finding the Best Pre Workout Supplement.
If you’re trying to find out which pre workout supplement will provide you the maximum benefit, a greater pump, more mass, increased endurance and strength then, you’re in the right spot. Far too often people are taken in by the smoke and mirror tricks some supplement companies use just to make a sale.
As we began putting our review together we sorted through all the marketing hype and concentrated on finding only quality products that would deliver results. We targeted workout supplements with a great history and ones that have consistently proven themselves over the years to work.
The pre workout supplements that we recommend don’t have to have fancy labels and spend thousands of dollars on advertising; all they need to do is provide the best results. The list we have put together is what we consider the Top Rated Pre Workout Supplements, and this list will change as we reevaluate supplements from time to time, at times there may be only 5 on our list or as many as 25 but, they will be the one’s you can count on as a top rated pre workout supplement.
But, before jumping right in and presenting the best pre workout supplement, it will be beneficial to provide a little background and discuss why pre workout supplements may benefit you.
Best Pre Workout Supplement Benefits
Pre Workout Supplements are formulated to typically be taken prior to your workout; however, some of the supplements can also be consumed post workout to attain maximum benefit. The idea is to achieve the maximum results for your efforts. Different supplements will contain one or more nutrient that can help to enhance your mood, increase your energy levels, creates a greater pump, delay muscle fatigue, increases stamina, increase strength, power, and mass, increase muscle size, boost fat loss and improve performance and endurance.
Pre Workout Supplements aren’t intended only for professional athletes or bodybuilders preparing for a competition. Many of the nutrients found in the top pre workout supplements are produced naturally by are bodies or are absorbed from the foods we eat. Although we may receive a sufficient amount of nutrients to get us through our normal day, often we lack what we need to give us the power to squeeze out a couple more reps, a few additional pounds or to go the extra mile. Many times we head to the gym feeling weak or tired but, by using pre workout supplements you can change a below par workout into a beneficial bodybuilding experience.
Best Pre Workout Supplement Nutrients
In today’s world pre workout supplements have become very popular over a short period of time. These supplements have been formulated with just the right ingredients to boost both, your endurance and energy levels, ramp up muscle growth and burn fat. In order to help you better understand just what makes the best pre workout supplement “The Best”, I’m going to provide a break down of some of the common nutrients found in many pre workout supplements.
What makes one Pre Workout Supplement different from the next? It’s the blend of nutrients included in the supplement. Pre Workout Supplements don’t contain all of the nutrients listed below but rather a certain blend of a few of the nutrients. The different nutrients provide different results. Depending on whether you’re trying to achieve a greater pump, increasing stamina and strength or boost power, and muscle mass you need to select a pre workout supplement that contains the nutrients to allow you to reach your goals.
I believe that a good understanding of what each of the nutrients will produce is essential in selecting the right pre workout supplement to reach the desired results. If you’re a seasoned pro you probably already know what you want from a pre workout. However, if you’re just looking into a pre workout for the first time you may want to read through the following list of nutrients.
- Arginine (L-arginine) – If you have ever started a serious weight training program the odds are you have either used or heard of a nitric oxide (NO) booster. Any NO booster with any value uses Arginine as its main ingredient since Arginine is easily converted to nitric oxide. The main reason for using Arginine is that it increases your blood flow which results in a greater pump for your workout. Many individuals claim to experience great results using NO boosters. Arginine is a (α-amino acid) and it triggers our bodies to make protein which is essential for bodybuilding. Our bodies absorb Arginine better when consumed on an empty stomach. To achieve the maximum benefit from Arginine you should wait at least 1 hour after you eat before taking the supplement and then wait 45 minutes to 1 hour before you workout. This will maximize the NO levels (which dilates the blood vessels allowing more oxygen and critical nutrients to be delivered to your muscles). L-arginine is a simple form of arginine however; some research shows that L-arginine may be poorly absorbed by our body. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage.
- Beta-Alanine – Is a beta-amino acid (AKA CarnoSyn). Beta-Alanine’s claim to fame is that it can raise carnosine levels (which is essential for delaying muscle fatigue and increasing stamina and muscle strength) in the muscles which will increase the amount of work that can be perform during high intensity workouts. Beta-alanine is also known to cause a “tingling feeling” (like pins and needles) by individuals using a supplement containing this substance when consuming more than the recommended dosage. The benefits received from Beta-Alanine are from raising muscle carnosine concentrations over a period of time. Meaning that you need to be more concerned with consistently consuming the Beta-Alanine on a daily basis, and less concerned with what time of the day you consume it. Normally it requires about 2 weeks before you’ll begin noticing a good increase in your performance. You may want to consider doing a loading phase with Beta-Alanine. Begin with approximately 6 grams that you spread over 2 to 3 doses a day for the initial 6 days, then progress into the maintenance phase; here you’ll take approximately 3 grams which will be divided into 3 doses (always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage). When you first start taking Beta-Alanine you may experience a slight tingling feeling in your body since the nerves beneath your skin are being stimulated. Beta-Alanine is one supplement which has been proven effective time after time. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage.
- Betaine – Is another amino acid (AKA Trimethylglycine). In the body it boosts muscle protein synthesis and can boost strength, power, and mass. It can increase strength and power by 25% and may add 10% to the number of reps a person can do. It is often recommended to take Betaine twice per day, approximately 1.5 to 2 grams prior to your workout and an additional 1.5 to 2 grams following your workout. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage.
- (BCAA) Branched-Chain Amino Acids – Covers the 3 essential amino acids Leucine (LEU), Isoleucine (ILE) and Valine (VAL). BCAA’s can help in delaying muscle fatigue, increase energy, increase muscle size and boosting fat loss. BCAAs, specifically Leucine (LEU), boost muscle growth by stimulating muscle protein synthesis. The recommended dose for BCAAs is approximately 5 to10 grams, and a critical time for taking them is close to your workout. Take a 5 to 10 gram dose before and after your workouts. If you’re trying to build mass, you may want to take a dose of BCAAs as soon as you wake up, this will help to stop muscle breakdown which occurs while you sleep. Additionally, you can take a dose, 5 to 10 grams virtually any time of day, this will help to reduce hunger, provide a mental energy boost and assist with muscle growth. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage.
- Caffeine – Is a powerful stimulant that helps to increase your focus, intensity and energy during your workouts. Caffeine binds to the receptors in your brain which aids in keeping fatigue down and nerve activity up; it also has a positive impact on coordination, memory, endurance and performance. Although you can get caffeine from coffee, tea, chocolate and several other foods this may not be ideal. Some studies have indicated that caffeine in pill form will have more of an effect in improving your performance than caffeine received from a cup coffee.
- Citrulline Malate – Is a combination of 2 amino acids, citrulline and malic acid. Citrulline is an amino acid primarily found in melons, and Malate is a derivative from apples. A build up of ammonia in the body can lead to extreme fatigue and muscle weakness and, both anaerobic and aerobic exercises will produce large amounts of ammonia. Citrulline can help to increase your energy levels by removing ammonia from your body. Another benefit that citrulline will provide is an increase in (NO) nitric oxide which was covered earlier. Research reports that you should consume a does of approximately 4 to 8 grams daily to achieve maximum effectiveness. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for consumption and dosage.
- Creatine – Is an organic acid and it occurs naturally in vertebrates. It aids in supplying energy to all of the cells in the body, mainly muscle. It provides the quick energy required by your muscles during your workouts. It helps to draw water into your muscles to give you a greater pump, and leads to greater muscle growth. For in-depth information on this pre workout supplement check out my review on the Best Creatine Supplement.
- Glycerol – Is mainly known for forming the backbone of triglycerides which is the primary form of fats in the diet. Glycerol attracts & binds a great amount of fluid (water), which allows athletes to raise their body fluid content and retain it for a longer period of time. Glycerol enhances the size of your muscles, which helps make you appear bigger and fuller. Since Glycerol draws fluid into your blood vessels and muscle cells, it can maximize hydration and potentially induce a bigger pump.
- Taurine – Is an amino acid and is necessary for the development and function of your muscles and for cardiovascular function. It may potentially increase the blood flow to muscles and can increase your muscle endurance and strength. Research indicates that Taurine can increase an individual’s muscle endurance by as much as 50% and can also improve your mental and athletic performance.
- Tyrosine – Is an amino acid that can enhance your mood, boost energy, increase concentration and increase your mental focus and stamina by creating hormones and neurotransmitters which can raise the intensity during workouts without jittery side effects.
Choosing a Pre Workout Supplement
Best Pre Workout Supplement Evaluation
While I was searching for the Top Rated Pre Workout Supplements I quickly discovered that there was quite a bit of misleading information on the net. I did come across some sites that presented very accurate and useful information to the reader and, the products they recommended were top rated products. However, I also found sites whose information was misleading or just plain wrong and the products they recommended were junk, some suggested the use of expensive supplements that provided less value than a cup of coffee.
Often I talk to people that select their supplements based on its name, popularity, packaging, and even celebrity endorsements or just because it’s the cheapest. This is like playing the lottery with your pre workout supplements, you may get lucky and pick a winner but odds are you’ll end up losing. In order to choose the best supplement you need to analyze the contenders.
Our recommendation for the Best Pre Workout Supplement is based on the analysis of several factors. We didn’t take the task lightly and make a decision based on the supplements popularity, name or price. Many factors were taken into consideration to make our choice including: reviews, ratings, reputation, ingredients and nutrients, ingredient combinations, dosage and many others.
There are literally hundreds of supplements all claiming to be the best. We’ve dug in and analyzed tons of information on the various pre workout supplements available on the market today and have compiled a list of what our research shows to be the Best Pre Workout Supplement and are presenting it for your review.
The Best Pre Workout Supplements
Although there are a ton of pre workouts available, the pre workout supplements that we have listed are only the top rated pre workout supplements, and I’m sure you’ll be pleased with any selection.
Remember, we are all unique and different and there is no one size fits all pre workout that will work for everyone, every time. Any of the pre workout supplements can and probably will produce different degrees of success for each individual, just because a supplement works wonders for you doesn’t mean it will do the same for everyone.
#5 – Professional Supplements Mr Hyde Pre Workout
Mr. Hyde Pre Workout takes our #5 spot, but I have to warn you this pre workout is not for the casual user. With its blend of ingredients it should only be used for advanced exercise and under no circumstance should anyone exceed the recommended 1 scoop serving. Mr. Hyde should not be used by individuals that are sensitive to caffeine since the product uses a 3 Stage Caffeine Blend.
Mr. Hyde is blended to be one of the most effective pre workouts available. It is loaded with leucine, and contains other proprietary stimulant blends to promote size, strength, great pumps and provide pin point focus.
These are some of the important nutrients Mr Hyde uses to provide an extreme workout:
- Beta Alanine
- L-Citrulline Malate
Most users of this pre workout feel that’s it is an intense supplement but should only be taken by those with a high tolerance to stimulants. Since it has over 400mg of caffeine per serving you don’t want to take it too late in the day (no later than 4 hours before you plan to sleep). Also, its taste isn’t awful but, it’s nothing to write home about.
#4 – MusclePharm Assault Pre Workout
MusclePharm Pre Workout takes our number 4 spot. It can safely deliver results and provide the energy kick that athletes seek without the crash with their new ingredient “PURENERGY”. Athletes looking for enhanced muscle mass, strength, energy and endurance will find what they need in this pre workout. The supplement contains 2000mg of their performance blend which features their ION‐3 Nitrate Technology.
Here are the key nutrients found in MusclePharm Assault used to deliver a complete pre-workout system:
- Citrulline Malate
Most athletes can’t seem to say enough positive about this Pre-Workout System. It has a great flavor that mixes well and most importantly works as described.
#3 – Evlution Nutrition, ENGN Pre Workout
If you’re searching for a pre workout that’s able to provide focus, intense energy (without any crash), amplified pumps and explosive power; you’ve just found it with our # 3 pick from Evlution Nutrition.
ENGN has been engineered for use by all athletes. It’s a direct blend of nutrients but without the fillers. ENGN works to delay muscle fatigue for improved strength, power, endurance and recovery.
Some of the nutrients in Evlution that can provide you with a maximum advantage over your competition include:
- Nitric oxide
For the best results it is recommended that you consume 1 scoop approximately 15 to 30 minutes before your training routine with 8 ounces of cold water. ENGN does provide a good balance between effectiveness and taste. Some pre workouts provide one or the other, but ENGN blends the two well.
#2 – BSN N.O.-XPLODE Pre Workout
We’re down to our # 2 choice and the decision is getting tough. BSN N.O.-Xplode has always been a favorite of mine since it always provided focus, energy, endurance, maximum performance, muscular strength and power.
For the first time since 2004, BSN has re-engineered the formula to be more concentrated and features advanced ingredient technology to push you past your previous limits.
The main nutrients found in BSN N.O.-Xplode include:
- Beta-Alanine (CarnoSyn)
- Betaine HCL
- Creatine Monohydrate
- L-Citrulline Malate
The new and improved N.O.-XPLODE mixes well, has a great taste and still provides an Increase in energy, improved focus, and an increase in endurance. If you haven’t tried N.O.-XPLODE you may want to give it a second look.
#1 – Cellucor C4 Extreme Pre Workout
We finally made it; we have narrowed our selection down to the one pre workout that based on our research stands head and shoulders above the rest. Our choice for the Best Pre Workout Supplement is Cellucor C4 Extreme Supplement Powder.
This supplement is considered by many the Best Pre Workout Supplement and we have to agree. Cellucor C4 Extreme contains the most beneficial nutrients for an explosive, results producing workout including:
- Beta Alanine
- Creatine Nitrate
Cellucor C4 Extreme delivers unbelievable muscle pumps, more energy, strength and endurance. This supplement has been formulated to provide what you require to ignite your mind and your muscles.
This is one powerful pre workout supplement with fantastic ingredients which is why it’s our hands down, top selection for the Best Pre Workout Supplement. It is highly rated, cost effective, and produces amazing results when it comes to strength gain & increased endurance.
Pre Workout Conclusion
This review covered the Best Pre Workout Supplements available however, we thought you may find it interesting to see what others are buying. These are the Top Selling Pre Workout Supplements on Amazon right now!
Amazon's Best Selling Pre Workout Supplement
- Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy with Green Tea and Green Coffee Extract, Preworkout and Amino Acids, Flavor: Concord Grape, 65 Servings
- Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy with Green Tea and Green Coffee Extract, Preworkout and Amino Acids, Flavor: Watermelon, 30 Servings
- GAT Clinically Tested Nitraflex, Testosterone Enhancing Pre Workout, Fruit Punch,300 Gram
- Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy with Green Tea and Green Coffee Extract, Preworkout and Amino Acids, Flavor: Concord Grape, 30 Servings
As with any supplement, to achieve the maximum benefits, even the best pre workout supplement should be combined with a proper diet, rest and exercise program. I always advise everyone to consult their healthcare professional prior to taking any supplement or beginning a diet or exercise program. Never exceed the recommended daily dosage for any supplement. Always use as directed by the manufacture and check with the manufacturer if you have any questions or concerns prior to using their product.
If you found this review on the Best Pre Workout Supplement beneficial, please share it with others!